Monday, April 30, 2012

The Womanly Art of Pinterest

So Matt suggested I needed to add more "Art of Womanliness" items to my blog so it wasn't just all "HOLY COW look at my KID!" which is currently all I blog about.  Except my Birchbox, which is pretty womanly.

I began pondering what makes me womanly.  Well, sometimes I clean (although the obsessive compulsive cleaning has died down a bit since I had a baby... because I'd rather play).  Sometimes I do my hair and put on make up (and I'm still kind of tempted to get into the realm of sharing tutorials, but that's not happening in the near future).  But what does every internet-savvy woman have in common right now on the internet?  Why, that'd be PINTEREST!!


What is Pinterest?  Well, it's basically a virtual bulletin board.  I can "pin" these great ideas I find on the internet, so in theory if I ever get finished pinning, I can go back through my pins and actually DO the stuff on there.  I can look at pins others already posted and repin them to my boards.  I can also surf the vast internets and pin things as I find them.  **Just so you know there's all this stuff floating around right now of "pin-able" material and copyright things--just be careful pinning from websites, especially some photography, because some people are really touchy and somehow can't stand the free publicity that Pinterest offers**

But is there an ART to pinning?  Of course there is!  I took a lot of time to think about the boards I would create (because they have names, and because they're my names, they should be infinitely more clever than the standard options).  And of course I'm very careful about what I pin, making sure I'm not pinning to just show off, but also picking interests that are true to me, projects I am really interested in, and practical help for home and life improvement.

I have such exciting boards as "Wally's World" which would encompass all cute pug and dog related items.  Mogwai has his own board, too ("Mogwai can has?").  I seriously enjoy pug art, so I feel good about these pins, plus there is a camaraderie with dog owners that I just enjoy.


I have separate boards for quilts ("Quilties"), Crafts (Crafties), and crochet (crochet--it couldn't be made any cuter).  I try to pin both inspiration and actual links to actual patterns and/or tutorials.  Nothing is worse than finding something clever only to find out you can't actually learn how to do it yourself. 


I have boards that speak to the future--"For the Next One", indicating there will be in fact another baby at some point, right?  And "For the Home" which is optimistic because I've yet to hang about ten thousand pictures around here.  And that's a fairly accurate figure, for people who think I'm into hyperbole.


And remember that Pinterest is just like Facebook (or my blog--shout out you cyber stalkers) and people can judge you by the content.  So I highlight my funny side (LOL), my work side (teaching), and my spiritual side (Faith).  Just for content in general, remember anyone (on Pinterest anyway) can find you and look at your boards.  So if you've got a crazy sense of humor that some might deem offensive, no better way to make that public than pin a ton of questionable content.


 Luckily, I'm pretty normal, so there's not much on here I'm embarrassed about.  Well, except on my "Books Worth Reading" board I have nothing pinned.  But that's not my fault, I don't search Pinterest for books, after all.

Once you get an invite (message me, I will invite you), you will spend some time setting up boards, picking people to follow, and starting to discover all the stuff people pin.  It's a great place to share ideas and be inspired.  Obviously, I really enjoy it.  And I've done several projects, for example: crock pot mac'n'cheese (disaster, do not pin), heart crayons, Easter bunny crochet, and Peep flower arrangement.  Speaking of Easter, I make a board for each holiday, too.

Source: goo.gl via Melissa on Pinterest

Once you get into the swing of things, you'll be able to decide what boards you need and what interests you have and who you follow that best compliments those needs.  There are Pinterest disasters (you get so excited pinning items you pay no mind to what board they go to, then later expect to find them somewhere only to think they've gone missing).

And the OCD part of me wants to remind you that unless you set it otherwise, the last pin you make on each board is that board's cover.  So if someone is surfing your boards, that's how you're introducing your coolness in that area.  So pin what you will, but always pin something everyone will be envious of last.


Hopefully if you're doing this or thinking of doing this, your "womanly art" is centered on your betterment and creativity, and not just being someone you "think" you should be.  I pin stuff that interests me and means something to me, just as I've shared these pins with you--these are the pins that made me especially happy or crafty.  I'm glad they represent me.


So what do you think?  Are you a womanly pinner?  Or are you thinking about joining?


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...