Thursday, December 2, 2010

Postpartum Momma Work-Out Notes

I love working out. I won't lie. I don't usually enjoy it at the time, but I always feel better. I stopped going to the gym during my third trimester because I was simply too exhausted to continue working and working out. So I've been hankering to go back post-baby, with the realistic expectation that I'd be starting off at square one again.
Only, I didn't realize there was a whole NEW square one--as in, square one with a bullet--the new post-baby body.
I've got some weight to lose, yes. And I've got skin, extra skin for days. I'm just now four weeks out from being pregnant (and no, I've not received the "official release" from my doctor... but I was told I could reasonably do whatever I felt like doing... stress on "reasonable").
So this is the plan: squeeze eyes shut tight, buy all bigger pants, throw away scale.
No seriously. My plan is to slowly start back on the things I most enjoyed pre-baby: spinning, jogging, weight lifting (won't start this until after my "official release"). But the more I try, the more I realize someone needs to give a few guidelines to us new moms on what the hell NOT to do. For instance:
1. Jumping jacks. No seriously. I've always hated them. But I was trying to do the Jillian Michaels Shred work out or whatever... it's OnDemand. And she wants me to do jumping jacks. So I say to myself, "Self--you're doing this, your ass needs it" only to find out, no. Jumping jacks are a big fat no. I felt like an adult diaper commercial. No.
2. Running fast. You just can't. I had flashbacks to my waddling ways during the last few weeks of being pregnant. My legs felt like they were going to split off my body Barbie style. So I stopped trying to "run" and jogged. I felt less athletic, but my hips (which still hurt) thank me. Start slow on things that involve balance and impact.
3. Back Exercises. I've always had a bad back. Yes. So I know the importance of what a good back and core exercise can do for you. Unfortunately your spine is out of whack after a baby. So the ol' back doesn't want to participate. I actually had been having backaches just to get an email from one of those parenting websites asking if I had a backache (why yes, I do, why do you ask?) and it explained the sad truth. So, I've been wearing this thing to help contain my sad deflated belly and it also helps support the back. Do NOT do back or lifting (or squats, or jumping jacks) without this thing. Miracle band. That's what I call it.
4. Sitting and Exercising. Did you have a baby the "natural" way? Just remember, you're putting that all up on a hard bicycle seat. Spinning will be back, oh yes, but I'm not even trying until my release. I "sat" on a seat to see. I was still optimistic. But after my soreness from jogging, I realize that would probably be like having a second baby a month after having my first baby. (You'd think my generous behind would help cushion that or something... wasn't that the point in getting so big in the first place? The comfortable seating?)

So... there you have it. That's what I've learned this week trying to work out. Oh yeah... those big baby books and big pregnancy books work great for starter weights. Truth. I got quite the work out at home with just a few of those suckers to lift in lieu of actual weights.

Working out will be fun again. Some how. But I have this great baby to show for it... and if I keep using my moby wrap, no one will be able to see my belly. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...