Wednesday, May 23, 2012

The Womanly Art of Summer Fragrance

What's the trick to smelling good this summer?  Light fragrances that mirror the season.  During the warm months, I tend to shy away from heavy scents, musky smells, and anything "rich" or "warm" like vanilla or food type scents.  When I think summer, I think flowers.  Nothing smells more refreshing that a lovely waft of blooms on the breeze, so that's the way you should smell, too! 
My (new) all-time favorite is Annick Goutal's Petite Cherie.  With scents of peach, pear, grass, and a  hint of vanilla, I don't know how you smell spring any other way.  The fragrance is light, refreshing, and pairs perfectly with the season.  I swear it just smells like a pear with a little something extra.  And I love that. 
My secret shame is I love Jessica Simpson and her perfumes.  I have a few of hers, but I'm really loving her newest installment, I Fancy You.  It is Fuji apple, sandalwood, and lily of the valley.  I think it is a really subdued fragrance with great staying power.  It pairs well with other smells, if you're into mixing fragrances.  It's a great base. I could see spraying this on over a favorite lotion or even spraying it on with a body spray for a little different accent. I feel like it's a really neutral scent, so if I was going to go somewhere (like church) where I didn't want to have a strong, distinctive smell, and I just wanted someone to think "can't put my finger on it, but she smells amazing!" this is my perfume. 
An oldy but a goody... Marc Jacobs Daisy.  This is a few years old, so if you haven't smelled Daisy, you're missing out on one of the world's best perfumes.  I don't care for much else fragrance wise from Marc Jacobs, but this perfume is intoxicating.  It's described as violet, strawberry, and ruby red grapefruit.  It is a must smell, but once you smell it, you will be smitten. 

My final suggestion is if you don't want to get too invested in a fragrance, try Bath and Body Works.  There are a lot of wonderful, light, fruity scents that also work great.  Stay away from anything too musky (like Japanese Cherry Blossom--just not right for warm weather!).  They've got a great honeysuckle scent and most of the time, they're going to have a selection of the "in" scents for the season.  Trying those often helps put you in the right direction toward finding your favorite new summer fragrance! 

Do you match your smell to the season?  What's your must-have for summer?

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...