Sunday, February 6, 2011

One for Your Seam Rippers

For Christmas I was gifted a Barnes and Noble gift card.  Dangerous temptation, for me.  So I shopped and shopped and settled on Amy Butler's Little Stitches for Little Ones.  I've never been completely sold on pattern books--mostly because I think the patterns are never as good as a single pattern you could buy.  But with all these cute outfits and baby toys, I just couldn't resist. 

I've never sewn real clothing before.  However, Butler promises "all projects are achievable" in this book.  I decided on the "easy" empire waist top and bloomers (difficulty level 3).  I diligently found the pattern pieces (quite the Where's Waldo, if you will), then cut out the extra pieces to measure.  I traced all the pattern pieces on parchment paper, which was a neat trick I picked up somewhere, so I wouldn't have to ruin the actual pattern pieces... thinking at the time, I could of course use these again. 

I knew I was in trouble right as I started sewing.  Unfortunately, Amy Butler might make a mean bag, but I think she forgot these clothes were for little people.  Little pieces.  Little seams.  I made the actual top of the top first, and I was pretty sure the entire time it wouldn't fit over Claire's head, even though I made the 3-6 month size:
It's all lined, plus the detailing of the V on front and the sleeves.  The dreaded sleeves.  More on them in a moment.  On the back (which appeared simple) I also had to use a real button and make a loop (quite the feat).  Of course, this goes back to--who are you making these clothes for?  It might look cute, but have you ever put on an outfit with "real" buttons on a three month old?  Ugh!

So now to the sleeves.  I don't know what size they're supposed to be.  I don't even know what they really look like.  One thing lacking in this book are nice, detailed pictures.  There are a few (and I think they're burned into my brain), but that didn't help for these complicated sleeves.  I actually started googling at this point to see if I could find outside help, only to hear many a woman's dismay over the exact same thing.  Plus a bevy of other complaints!  Well, at least it wasn't just me having trouble here!  So I improvised.  I actually started the second sleeve following the directions exactly again, thinking I'd messed up a step--only to end up in the exact same mess.  So these, while they might look nice, are not her exact sleeves.  Don't even ask what I did to them, I don't know. 
 After about this point, I figured this was a scrap project.  I mean, it was, as you'll recognize, this is the exact fabric from my diaper bag.  I indeed made a "scrap" project.  But what I mean is, I figured this wasn't going to work out or look decent, so I sort of started getting sloppy.  I continued to struggle with the horrible instructions, so I just went with it. Even still, I must have used my seam ripper more than my sewing machine!  Just an example of how horrid the instructions were, the bottom of this top is a rectangle cut out of fabric that you measure yourself.  Fine.  However, no where in any of the instructions does it mention which end is up.  So when it got to the point to put it on the top, I didn't know which way it went.  I read over the instructions about ten times, so frustrated.  I'm sure it's in some stupid place (as all the instructions were a little out of order, in my opinion).  So I just did what I felt.  I also like how she provided no way to finish the seams on this part of the outfit.  All the other seams are "finished" so they won't unravel.  I'll have to go back and improvise (again). 
After I finished the outfit, I was pretty hesitant to even attempt the bloomers.  I read over the entire pattern first, and since it was so small (and seemed simple) and I had just enough scrap left, I went for it.  I made the 6-9 size, since our cloth diapers add a bit more bulk, and after seeing the top and questioning the size, I felt like it was the right thing to do.  Now, I will concede that since I've  made plenty of pants before, that's probably why these were easier.  I liked the part where they say to sew the legs, but if I hadn't made pants before, I certainly would have had to seam rip apart the "skirt" I'd created.  Little details--a simple sentence more in the instructions would always help.  Here's the fit of the bottoms:
They're bulky, but by the time the weather is nice enough to wear this out and about, they'll probably fit.  The waist band left something to be desired.  As I told Matt, who had to hear this whole thing several times over, I just wanted to follow the instructions exactly, to prove they were stupid.  Indeed, I could have used about two inches less on the elastic.  I liked the legs though, they're frilly and cute and fun.  

Here the whole outfit is--there IS room to spare, thank goodness, however, it's pretty hard to get on.  There is a little elastic in the waist, but not enough to squeeze through big chunky arms (oh dear).  And of course the button is a bear to hook when she's wiggling.
You know I look good...

I do think it turned out cute, though, so does Claire:
E-Trade baby, eat your heart out!

Now I'm kind of sad that I started getting sloppy at the end because I figured the project was unwearable.  However, I've been told you can't tell, and that it looks very nice, inside and out.  I like my projects to be a certain standard, though.  You know, even my pj pants have finished seams and a reinforced crotch.  Just saying.
You didn't reinforce my crotch?  What kind of Mommy are you?
  
But it's wearable!
I feel pretty, oh so pretty...

And Claire approved!
Get me my agent, I'm ready for my close up!
  
I guess I need to start practicing sewing complicated baby couture, since her new obsession (watching TV) was compounded today watching what else, Toddlers and Tiaras.
I want to win Grand Supreme Little Miss!
 She looks pageant ready!  Unfortunately, I don't think she'll be getting this outfit in a larger size.  I've also read that people had a terror of a time with the booties and the jumper (which was going to be my next outfit, rats).  I'll just say this--I think with a pattern book, you get what you pay for.  In this case, fancy baby photos showing off the clothes, but not showing much detail in the actual instructions.  And the drawings to show steps are lacking.  I know what a gathering stitch looks like, seriously, why not give some more details on those complicated sleeves! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...