Monday, July 11, 2011

Claire's Baptism

We finally had Claire baptized today.  It was a little bit hard for me to decide to stay Catholic or go rogue, but in the end, tradition and upbringing swayed me.  Then after making the decision, I found the biggest challenge was finding something for Claire to wear. 
The Baptism Crew.
I'm not a big fan of most baptism gowns.  I find them ugly.  They have big puffy sleeves, or lots of frilly lace, or (the best of the worst perhaps) lace with crosses embroidered in with extra frills plus sleeves plus random ribbons hanging off... all for around $70.  I wouldn't have minded paying that much for an important keepsake, except I was embarrassed to dress my kid up like that, so I decided to modify a pattern and make my own.  It's hard to tell in the pictures, but I totally didn't screw it up.  I just miscalculated how hard it would be to hold an eight month old in a giant satin dress. 
Eric, Yvette, Anne, Matt, Claire and I, and Father Greg (who performed my first communion, btw)
The changes I made to the dress pattern were pretty simple.  I left off the sleeves (okay, won't lie, that was a hard part, but I figured it out), I didn't use traditional lace, I added a sash plus flower to the front and back.  This was the first time for me to use buttons, the first time using a blind hem stitch, and the first time I worked with most of these fabrics.  So, to have the dress turn out at all, well, I felt pretty good about that.
Claire was excited to go to church today.  She seemed to know it was all about her.  She blew raspberries throughout the ceremony, and jerked her head around to check out the priest every time he said her name (so now we know she knows her name... ;)  )  Also, just before she got the water to the head, he said her name so she twisted to look and totally dunked her head.  A lot of people laughed.  I laughed.  It was funny.  She also tried to take her baptism candle, still lit by the way. 
Claire attempting to baptize herself.
We were lucky to have such a wonderful crew of God parents, too.  Our friend Anne has been a good friend since high school.  We've always been around each other and Matt and I felt that she best represented who we were, so she was a natural choice.  We also asked my cousin Yvette and her husband Eric.  They've always been a wonderful strong couple and they have two amazing little boys.  We know that they'd love Claire like their own, so it was easy to ask them!  Also, my father is Yvette's God father.  So I thought that was cool. 
Claire showing us all a thing or two about hand chewing for nice pictures.
Claire seemed to know everything was about her and really enjoyed sitting in the front in church, so perhaps I'll start sitting closer with her.  We took flowers to the cemetery behind the church to visit Claire's Great Grandma Kelly and Auntie Megan, then we went back to our place for a get together.  I made cupcakes... and I forgot to take pictures!  Rats!  We had a great time socializing and hanging out and Claire even made out with a few thoughtful gifts from grandparents, friends, and new God parents. 
Matt's parents, Greg and Katie; my mom, Paula, Matt, Claire, and I; my father, Larry.
All in all, after all the stress (for me), this was a beautiful baptism and a great family get together.  We had a wonderful time!  Now the next big event for her will be her first birthday!  Scary to think about!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...