Monday, January 3, 2011

Obsessive much?

With Claire starting daycare today, I was super nervous about many things.  Of course, I was most concerned about when she looked up to see who was there, she wouldn't see me.  Unlike apparently all my friends who have babies, I've not been able to get away from Claire for more than a few hours since she's been born (and conveniently attached to her prior to that) so we've kind of grown used to each other always being there.  Going out without the baby has felt strange... like I've lost an arm or something.  Where's the baby.  That's what my brain is always saying.
So we dragged all of our Claire accessories (see, see what I did there?  Because Claire's is also an "accessories" store?) to daycare, and I brought in my bundle of cloth diapers.  I plan on using only BumGenius 3.0s/4.0s with hook and loop (velcro) because those are the easiest for non cloth diaperers.  However, I realized yesterday, trying to prepare our items for daycare, that there is a lot of information that they might not be aware of.  I started doing research, just to see what other mommas did (or the trouble they ran into) and I read a ton of scary stories about a days worth of diapers thrown away (dear GOD they're too expensive, I'd be digging through trash bags) or diapers returning slathered in rash cream (which is practically a death sentence to cloth diapers because it causes them to leak--it repels the tinkles, to be "technical"). 
So I decided to be proactive (that way I can be super pissy when something bad happens, because I TOLD them!) and create a little information sheet on how to use her diapers.  Here is what's on there, for those who might need to know someday what to say upfront.  I showed them the handout this morning and they were thankful for the information.  It also helps they're familiar (to an extent) with cloth diapering, so I'm hoping for no awful tragic stories ending in, "So that diaper is no more". 


Helpful Cloth Diaper Pointers for:
Claire Duckett
To Change the Diaper:
·         Simply undo like a regular disposable
You CAN use a clean portion of the diaper to wipe excess poo off, if needed
Take dirty diaper (poo or tinkle) and rewrap once off, just like a used disposable, put dirty diaper in wet bag, and rezip!
Send dirties home and I’ll take care of the rest! 
(Please don’t throw the diapers away—I will clean off poo and undo the system for the wash, so there is no need to pull the inserts.  Keeps the wet bag cleaner, too!)
Putting on the Diapers:
(we will always try to send the same type, the BumGenius with Velcro, but if we send some snaps, this will also cover that)
·         For a regular diaper with Velcro: simply arrange diaper like a disposable.  The insert inside the pocket should not touch her skin, because it can zap extra moisture out.  When closing up, make sure no extra parts of the inside are sticking out, either in the back/front or by the legs.  If the inside is sticking out, they’ll leak.  Don’t be afraid to have them tight!  Loose legs can cause leaks, too!
·         For a snap BG: same fit rules apply, and the snaps are a waist closure only.  Right now she’s so small we snap right down the middle, but if that seems too tight, you can move one or both sides out to the next row of snaps.
·         For a Fuzzibunz Snap: these have hip closures plus waist.  Snap the lower snaps first to fit the legs (on both sides) then snap the top two to best fit the waist. 
Sizing: We will send the diapers pre-sized (snaps down the front for BGs or elastic inserts on FBs) and prestuffed, so they’re ready to use, just like a disposable diaper.  If the diaper comes unsnapped in the front, you can resnap.  Also, if you think the size is ever too small, you can choose to unsnap the front yourself and resize (no need to change anything else). 
In Case of Diaper Rash:
Please do not use regular diaper cream for a diaper rash.  If she begins to show signs of a rash, you can switch to a fresh diaper or a disposable.  Diaper cream will mess up cloth diapers.  If she has a rash, I will send her with cream and either fleece liners for the diapers (don’t let the cream touch the actual diaper) or we will keep her in disposables for the day (much preferred) using cream.  I have a small sample cream in her actual diaper bag (front pocket) but please do not use it with a cloth diaper!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...