Monday, September 13, 2010

The Baby Book Epidemic

So, my friend Emily made a post on her blog about the books she read and her reviews. I liked it, but I sure wasn't going to write one. However, as more people around me suddenly get pregnant (or I have people asking what books they should get other pregnant people for gifts or recommendations) I figured I could compile my own quick list. Since I read a lot of different books, some more helpful than others, I thought I'd give my own two cents.

Pregnancy for Dummies
I read this on one of my binges at Barnes and Noble (meaning I didn't actually buy it). I read it when I first got pregnant and was scared out of my mind. I initially picked up What to Expect, but I figured that was too official and too detailed for my brain, since I was still taking this all in. It turned out to be fairly entertaining and helpful, but I probably would never buy it as a resource (for anyone else or myself). There are more helpful books. But I figure if you're just looking into the idea of pregnancy, it's not bad to let you know in brief what you're in for.

Pregnancy Week by Week
So my mom bought me this book when I first got pregnant instead of the standard What to Expect. I was intimidated, and I feel like there are some weeks that have a lot of useless information, but I enjoyed having something that kept me updated for every week, as opposed to every month. I kind of made it my weekend ritual to read my new week and note anything I should be expecting or should be concerned about. I'd say that this is probably my MOST recommended book for the actual pregnancy process. Granted there was info in there that *might* be scary to read, but it generated lots of knowledgeable questions I could take to my doctor if I wasn't sure about something, and it certainly helped understand in advance things she'd bring up to talk about, too.

Babyproofing your Marriage

I got this book as a little "at home therapy" or, if nothing else, a marriage book study. Both Matt and I read this to talk about some issues that could or had come up thanks to pregnancy and impending doom of baby. It was really no-nonsense, written by women who'd gone through this and had great suggestions. I think it opened up a lot of communication between Matt and I about things that were sensitive (visiting relatives overstepping boundaries, sex life, chores, etc.). There were things in here that I read that I instantly realized I was doing that I should probably stop. It helped me understand his perspective on things, my relatives perspective on things, and it helped validate some of my emotional issues--my big thing has been/will be this is my new family I'm creating, and I take great offense to people who are not respecting it. I was able to learn some ways to approach this topic with grace, as opposed to flipping out. My therapist was actually really proud of me for reading this and being so proactive, because that's my strategy to deal with anxiety. We developed our chore list based on this (so it's never a question of what actually has to be done, we know). It also helped us talk about some of the more sensitive issues. I highly recommend this. Even if you think your relationship is rock solid, which Matt and I really have a good relationship so I'd say we fell in that category, it just helped to get some perspective on the situation. I thought it was a great pre-baby read, mostly because we had time to read it and could sort of get in the mind set of how we wanted to handle things when they came up BEFORE they became an issue.

The Happiest Baby on the Block
This was a Matt purchase (on Ebay, nice and cheap). We also watched part of the DVD in our child birthing classes. Now, after watching the DVD I thought some of this was nuts (the "SHHH"ing thing still cracks us up), but after seeing it in action on the DVD, I was a lot less skeptical. It encourages swaddling, but has great suggestions for calming a baby. I admittedly haven't read all of this yet, and I only read small parts because some of it seems like stuff I'm not interested in (lets see how many times I pull this out to read panicked at 2am that I can't get the baby to sleep). I'd say the DVD might be better for the expectant or already panicking new parent, as opposed to the book (it helps to have a visual, and it's just plain easier than reading all this stuff). Still... since some of our family members are weirded out by our swaddling desires, it does help validate some of that. In fact, I've actually started to receive swaddling gifts now that I've talked this one up. A friend of mine also read this book and said it was pretty handy. Who knows? If we don't have a dream child who never fusses, this may well become a "can't live without" book.

The Girlfriends' Guide to Pregnancy
This was an early on read as well (another ebay deal). I figured this would be more informative and helpful, letting me know all the dirty secrets of pregnancy that you don't see on Knocked Up. However, it was a pretty "fluff" read. Yep. You poo on the table and you have terrible gas. I know this, and it wasn't helpful to hear them laugh it off. It reminded me a lot of Jenny McCarthy's Belly Laughs, which I read but won't even review because it was just too fluff. And I did NOT like how they took the stance that you shouldn't waste time exercising while pregnant. I thought exercise was very important and kept it up until the third trimester, when I have admittedly started to slow down. I walk still, and climb stairs (at work), but I think a certain amount of doctor approved exercise during pregnancy helps keep your stamina up and your health. I was even doing spinning class at 5 months pregnant. You CAN keep exercising. Your body will tell you when you need to quit. I thought this book was pretty misleading. Baby doesn't want a milkshake--YOU do!

What to Expect...
Yup, I read it. When others have gone before me into the land of pregnancy I thought this book was great. When I got pregnant, it seemed terribly overwhelming. I still don't like how it sections everything out in months, since so much changes in one month (and the doctors now work in weeks, so I wouldn't even know what month I was if it wasn't for this book). I felt like some information was NOT helpful. I still remember though that reading ahead I'd read about someone's water breaking in bed and her wondering if she'd peed or not. I made a joke about it to my then pregnant friend... who promptly had the same thing happen. She was so thankful that I'd brought it up from the book because she didn't know if it was pee or "her waters" either. But really, I thought this book was something I could have frankly done without. Thank goodness we bought it used.

What to Expect When You're Expected
Okay... this was a way better "What to Expect" book, and it is a parody. It was funny as hell. It has no value for any information, but it can sure take the stress off a pregnant lady. We thoroughly enjoyed reading this and having a good laugh. Especially since our little bundle of joy was so "unexpected"... it helped us find a happy outlet for some laughs early on. I'd recommend it, even if you're NOT pregnant. If you're an adult and enjoy parody and sarcasm, well, this is just a great read.

Heading Home with Your Newborn
I just bought this book tonight on a whim. It seems like a really comprehensive baby owner's manual. I've read a few chapters already and it's given some really practical advice and instruction. Even stuff I kind of knew how to do, reading this book gave me lots of great suggestions for how to do even the most simple tasks like diaper changing (I know, someone is laughing right now that I called that "simple"... we'll see). Since I'm starting to switch from pregnancy to full on baby mode, I'm really more curious about what I'm going to need to know when she gets here, as opposed to what's happening to me at this point (and at this point, since all the disgusting pregnancy stuff is in full swing, I just don't care to know any more). I like that it is highly recommended on baby websites and I like how it's from the American Academy of Pediatrics (although some stuff on their website drives me crazy, this book doesn't seem nearly as anal). So far, although we HAVE the What to Expect in the First Year book, this just seems way more manageable and understandable. So I'm enjoying it a lot more. I'd recommend this for first time parents, definitely.

Well, that's my list. I've read a few others and Matt actually likes a few other books that HE picked up being a new and expectant daddy, but these are the ones that I'd say were most helpful for both of us, or just to me. If you're looking for what to read as a new daddy, ask Matt since he's been good about reading on that end. Although I do sneak peeks, just to make sure he's getting info that I approve of (thankfully no chapters that claim something like "she's making this shit up for attention"). I hope it was helpful. I feel like I've got a pretty good meter for what's understandable and helpful. I also am shocked about how many books I've read on the subject. I guess that's why I've been way less panicked lately. Knowledge is power, people. Knowledge is power!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...