Thursday, November 10, 2011

High Chair Remodel

A couple of months ago I saw this awesome picture idea in a baby magazine.  The photographer got an old high chair off of Craigslist, painted it, and let the cake fly.  Looking at the picture, I realized that chair seemed a little TOO familiar.  In fact, it appeared to be a cleaned up version of MY old high chair!  So I made my dad unearth my 30 year old chair from the basement.
It was in pretty rough shape--30 years of basement life will do that to you.  I cleaned it several times with Murphy's Oil Soap and made sure all the pieces were tight and it wouldn't fall apart.  I decided not to sand it because the finish appeared to be gone.  Also I figured sanding it probably would be difficult with the design. 
I spray painted the heck out of it... and I'm not sure if I needed more paint (two cans down, more to go?) or I really needed to sand it, but I had small parts of the wood showing through, especially on the detailing.  When it dried after the second coat, I decided to leave it.  One, I didn't want to paint it AGAIN.  Two, I kind of liked that it looked "aged" (as it was old).  Three, I figured it'd take good shots anyway and only someone as picky as me could tell. 


I was right about everything!  Claire took her cake smash photos and looked great in the chair--and hey, bonus!  Now we have a weird, clean, antique high chair if Claire ever wants to play real "house" someday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...