Sunday, October 23, 2011

Pumpkin Carving

This pumpkin is all mine!
 A few weeks ago, we went as a family to pick out our very first pumpkin!  Claire was very excited checking out the pumpkin patch, and even though she probably would have loved to walk away with a huge pumpkin, we went for something a little more Claire-sized.  She also got a mini-pumpkin (not pictured) that she will use in her year one pictures next week.  However, when I tried to explain the jack-o-lantern concept, she was clueless. 
You are NOT going to hurt this pumpkin!

I am just addicted to trying to capture Claire's small, curious, detailed hands. 

I love how she points and examines the smallest details.

It seems so funny that something as simple as a pumpkin can bring her so much joy... and yet... her face just lights up playing with it!

Hold up, hold up.  You're gonna do WHAT to my pumpkin?
 I haven't carved a pumpkin in a long time.  Some of my fondest memories of pumpkins past have been carving them with my family, sprawled out on some newspaper on the kitchen floor.  I was going to go hardcore for our very first Halloween and get a carving kit and use a pattern, but we decided that we should go retro and make our own jack-o-lantern face.  It kind of made sense, since I think Claire would register more with a face than with a whole scary design (although I was quite attracted to the Sesame Street carving kits... maybe next year). 
The mayhem begins... not sure what to think yet.
 So I tried my best to draw a happy face on the pumpkin.  I did all the slicing far away from tiny fingers up on the counter, but Matt helped Claire always keep the action in her sights.  I was so nervous I'd chop my finger off or something right in front of her (that carving kit sounded better all the time, right?).  No humans were injured in the making of this jack-o-lantern, I'm proud to say.
The first handfuls... I realized she could eat the pumpkin, since it's just a squash.  I had a total "oh no" moment before it registered she wasn't going to actually eat it anyway... haha.

Little hand sneaking in for more while Mommy does the "real" dirty work.

I love this photo... both girls looking into their "bowls"

Claire was very concerned about the process. 
 Claire was definitely interested in the process.  She was all about pumpkin scooping.  I was really worried I'd be picking pumpkin off of the both of us for days, but I managed to make it out clean and even with all her playing, she remained pretty clean too.  I just love how much attention she can show now.  She really understood there was something awesome going on.  She watched me and played with pumpkin goo the whole time.  I'm impressed she didn't just grab a chunk and crawl off or something!
She was so interested in what was going on inside Mr. Pumpkin.  I bet next year she'll really get a kick out of pulling out the goo herself!

Wonder what pumpkin tastes like...

Oh man... pumpkin is gross!  (see, I KNEW I wouldn't have to worry about her eating some and choking)

A few times Claire really worried me.  I thought she was going to face plant in goo--or throw the goo and bowl!

Love this shot!

Love these action shots--she certainly had a lot of fun today!

She even knew what to do with the spoon!

I was waiting for her to get a big spoonful and stick it in her mouth, since she knows what spoons are for.  Too bad she already found out that pumpkin isn't tasty!

Mommy and Claire enjoying the goo!
 I don't know why, but for some reason I've been looking forward to this pumpkin carving since she was born.  I have such happy memories of being little myself, watching my own parents clean out our pumpkins and carve them.  It was almost surreal being on the other side of things and being the "pumpkin expert" for Claire.  I've had a lot of "mommy" moments this past year, but this meant a lot to me.  I was even more excited that Claire had so much fun and was so interested in the process.  It's funny how the simple things like carving a pumpkin for our first Halloween could mean so much in the long run, but I'm glad we're making these memories.  After her bath, we lit the pumpkin in the dark bathroom so she could see the result of all our hard work.  She smiled so big and pointed right at it.  I think our happy face was a big hit!  I'm excited to stick him out on the front porch for trick-or-treaters!  Can't wait to do it again next year!
Happy Halloween!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...